I am running for Santa Barbara school board to ensure that every student has the chance to succeed. We are fortunate to live in a community with strong schools. As a graduate of our public school system, I am grateful for all the opportunities my education has given me. Yet we must do more. We need to close the achievement gap, better prepare our students for success, give our teachers the tools they need, and ensure that no student goes hungry. As a former White House speechwriter and U.S. Senate aide, I am a collaborative problem-solver with a track record of leadership. I have been involved in my hometown community in meaningful ways and now want to give my time and energy to the heart of Santa Barbara --- our schools. As my son starts kindergarten in the fall, I am determined to strengthen our schools for his generation and beyond.
Laura has devoted her career to public service and is passionate about making our community, and our country, the best it can be for everyone. She served as a White House speechwriter for President Clinton, a communications director on John Kerry’s presidential campaign, a trusted advisor to Senator Edward Kennedy, part of Al Gore’s climate change campaign, and an ocean conservation advocate. Her work has focused on providing opportunities for working families, fighting for immigration reform, forging a more environmentally sustainable future, and supporting the rights of all people.
It was with great joy that she returned back to her home, Santa Barbara, three years ago, to raise her son and work alongside everyone here who is making this community strong. This fall, her son will start kindergarten at the school she attended.
Her community involvement includes:
- Hunger advocate. Working in collaboration to end childhood hunger in Santa Barbara, Laura spearheads a coalition that’s helping more kids get free, healthy meals in the summer -- a time when hunger is at its worst. In 2015, 33% more meals were served under the initiative than the year before. She’s helping strengthen Santa Barbara's food system.
- President of the Board of the Community Environmental Council. She’s a leader focused on local solutions to our climate crisis by offering sustainable choices for the energy we consume.
- Commissioner for Women. Appointed by Supervisor Carbajal, as Chair of the Commission she led an effort to improve the gender representation on boards and commissions throughout the county.
- Member of the Santa Barbara Unified School District Measure B Citizens Oversight Committee. The committee ensures that the $2.4 million parcel tax passed in 2012 is spent effectively to enhance music, math and science at our schools.
- Member of the Board of Directors, Planned Parenthood Action Fund. Laura lends her political leadership and support for comprehensive health education to this important organization at a time when women’s health and reproductive services are under assault.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Interfaith Initiative, and member of the congregation at Trinity Episcopal Church.
Laura believes that our strong, diverse, and caring community is the best in the country – and our schools are at the very heart of it. By supporting our schools we lift up everyone and set Santa Barbara on a brighter path for the future.
Laura Capps for Santa Barbara School Board 2016 FPCC # 1385160